20161027
Try searching 'pumpkin spider'
You'll get all kinds of cuts Halloween pics, pumpkins and spider decor, almost nothing spider related. So trying to find the 'real name' for pumpkin spiders is almost impossible. It's ◼ Araneus diadematus, or European garden spider. They're Orb Weavers, and they make huge webs, they themselves start out small and skinny every fall, but get big, fat and round, looking like orange pumpkins. Not generally poisonous.
They're the only ones I like. And I don't usually disturb them. You do have to look out for them as you go down any path, the webs are quite large and intricate. The only time I draw the line is when they put the web right in the doorway.
Image source: http://www.nicksspiders.com/nicksspiders/araneusdiadematus.htm
Labels:
Urban wildlife
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
More:
-
Putting in the sidewalk and the gate to the backyard was the first step really. A step towards setting up the infrastructure, making a mark...
-
The Bumblebee Garden This is the side yard, where the kids were digging in the picture above. It was a strip of dirt and weeds. There was...
-
◼ Turn Your Blog into a Book with Blog2Print To continue Blogger's 10th anniversary celebration, I’m delighted to announce that Blog2Pri...
-
Water lilies can spread from seeds or the rhizomes. And mine has definitely spread. At first I had it in the pond in its pot, but the dog k...

No comments:
Post a Comment